- 26 8" corn tortillas
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce
- 4 cups shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup green onions, diced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
*Quick Refried Beans tip: add can of refried beans to a small sauce pot, add about 1/2 cup milk and 1 cup shredded cheese and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently. Creamy and just overall awesome!
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Fill a large pot about 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil. Drop thawed chicken breasts into boiling water and boil about 15 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside in a bowl of cold water.
3. When chicken has cooled to touch, shred chicken into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add 3/4 of the green enchilada sauce, all of the green onions, green chiles, salt & pepper and stir until well combined. Set aside.
5. Fill small skillet with cooking oil, about 3-4 cups of oil. No exact amount needed, just enough to almost cover a stack of tortillas. This process makes the tortillas pliable and allows them to cook properly in the baking process. Place stack of corn tortillas (I usually put about 12-13 at a time) in oil and warm on stovetop for about ten seconds. Using tongs, spread apart the stack slightly to allow the oil to completely coat each tortilla. Remove from oil with tongs, let drain, and place on paper towels to drain. Repeat until you have about 25-26 oil-coated tortillas set aside. You’ll most likely have extra tortillas left over after assembly, but it’s better to have more than not enough! Don’t discard those leftover tortillas just yet!
6. Layer bottom of baking dish with tortillas, overlapping slightly. It usually takes me about 6 tortillas to cover the bottom for a 9×13 baking dish.
7. With a large spoon or spatula, pour half of chicken, chiles and sauce mixture over bottom layer of tortillas.
8. Cover with another layer of tortillas, overlapping slightly and pour remaining chicken/sauce mixture over tortillas.
9. Add another layer of tortillas on top, again overlapping slightly. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top layer of tortillas. spreading with a large spoon or spatula.
10. Drop all of the sour cream by the Tablespoonfuls over top and spread with a large spoon or spatula, smoothing the top of the layer so that it’s coated entirely.
11. Sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
* You may have left-over oil-coated tortillas. Tip: cut into small triangles and fry them using the cooking oil and drain on paper towels for homemade corn chips!
12. Bake at 350ºF uncovered for about 40 minutes or until cheese on top begins to brown.
13. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting. Enjoy!