I came across this recipe on Just A Pinch but modified it quite a lot to fit the ingredients I already had on hand. The original recipe called for a package of taco seasoning instead of cumin, salt and red pepper, so if you have a package of taco seasoning, go ahead and use that! The original also called for chopped onions, but I used chopped bell peppers (green, yellow and red, although just green would be fine) and onions. And six flour tortillas seemed like an awful lot to me, so I reduced mine to four. With all the substitutions I made, it still turned out great! It’s a fairly quick weeknight meal to prepare, too!
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and drain excess oil. Add peppers and onions to skillet and sauté.
2. Add salt, cumin and red pepper to beef and stir until well seasoned. Add more salt to taste.
3. Remove from heat and add can of refried beans and stir until well incorporated.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine sour cream and cream of mushroom soup, stirring until well combined.
5. Spread 1/2 of the sour cream/cream of mushroom mixture over the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
6. Tear apart or slice 3 flour tortillas and spread over sour cream mixture.
7. Drop half of the meat and bean mixture over tortillas. It was a fairly thick mixture so I ended up using my (clean) hands to help spread it evenly.
8. Cover top with half of the shredded cheese.
9. Repeat process one more time to build a second layer, spreading top layer with the rest of the shredded cheese.
10. Bake uncovered at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving and enjoy!